ETHIOPIA – MTW/SIM
Andy and Bev serve with an MTW team that is involved in HIV/AIDS work and church planting through the Ethiopia Aids Care and Treatment (ACT) Project. The project targets slum communities in Addis Ababa which contain the neediest people in the community and large percentages of women with small children. In recent years, the project has served more than 500 AIDS-affected families, reaching more than 1,200 people.
When the ACT project started more than a decade ago, one of their goals was to plant churches. Now a church in Suki has been established. ACT has been working full scale in the Suki community with many families registered as members of the project. They receive medical care, nutritional support, and help with housing. The children attend school and HIV+ children receive extra support and care. The team is dreaming of starting work in other slum communities and about planting churches in a ring around Addis Ababa. A second community, Hannah Mariam, has been selected and they have started building relationships with community leaders by having short-term medical clinics.
Work continues in Lideta and Bole, where they have been ministering for many years. Most families there have graduated from the program, but some still need care and support. The team is excited about a new centralized office that will allow all of the team to work together and will also serve as a center for income-generating activities (IGA). Eventually, these will produce products that can be purchased online to benefit program participants who are creating them.
- For the team as they think, pray, and plan together about launching new works.
- For a new agreement for the ACTS project with the government that will allow more flexibility and save money.
- For a new family sponsorship program, Family to Family. It is a way for a family in the U.S. to connect with one of their project families.
- That they will know how to continue to care for the people they already work with.
- For wisdom as they explore expanding into new communities and focusing on church planting.
- For peace in Ethiopia.
- For Andy & Bev while they are in the U.S. on home assignment.
c/o SIM, P.O. Box 127 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia / email@example.com
Birthdays: Andy (2/4), Beverly (5/26); Anniversary: September 2