KENYA / TANZANIA – WYCLIFFE
Tom serves as a translation consultant to Bible translation teams from multiple people groups in Tanzania and Kenya. Some of the groups are minimally reached for Christ and some are dominated by Islam. This consultant role varies widely with each team, including encouraging, mentoring, proofing of drafts, and the final approval of translations for publication. The direct result is getting the Word of God into the hands of people of minority groups in their heart language and spreading the gospel. Tom is also Chair of the Entity Committee of the Uganda-Tanzania Branch of SIL International.
Juanita teaches at West Nairobi School (WNS), which is owned by the Network of International Christian Schools. It uses a North American curriculum and is an accredited school. For this school year, Juanita is teaching four middle school math classes and a sixth grade Bible class. As always, her students represent many nationalities and backgrounds. She enjoys interacting with adolescents very much and loves her work.
- For wisdom for Tom as he serves the Mbugwe, Bende and Pimbwe translation teams in Tanzania, checking drafts of Luke with the Mbugwe in February and Bende/Pimbwe in January.
- For the Rendille NT translation team’s work that has been slowed by their typesetter’s computer and software and the outbreak of malaria among the Rendille.
- For the health and safety of Tom and the translation teams that he serves, including their families among days of political unrest in Kenya.
- For God-glorifying relationships between Tom and the translation teams and within the translation teams themselves.
- For WNS as they try to make up teaching time lost due to the unrest caused by recent Kenya elections.
- For WNS to have an effective ministry to all of its students and families, both Christian and non-Christian. Please pray for wisdom for Juanita and for the work and power of God’s Holy Spirit.
- That God will bring effective staff to WNS who glorify God in their ministry. This year, the middle school team is expanding to five teachers.
- That God will grant favor to SIL and WNS with the Kenyan government.